Travel back in time with local paleontologist Wayne Thompson from Pacific Paleontology during this hands-on experience in the Santa Cruz Sandhills. Learn first hand about the ancient life of what used to be the Monterey Bay and is now the Santa Cruz Mountains. We’ll hunt for the fossilized remains of ancient creatures like megalodon and explore the Santa Margarita Formation — an ocean sediment rock layer that was formed 10-12 million years ago!
Location: Private property in Scotts Valley
$15 Members | $25 General
What to Expect
- Exact meet-up location will be shared upon registration.
- We will not walk far from the parking area and will mostly be working and learning in one main spot. Terrain is sandy and mostly flat.
- Feel free to bring a chair, stool, or knee pad. Otherwise be prepared for prolonged standing or sitting on the sandy soil.
- There are no restrooms or facilities at this location.
- Wear layers, comfortable shoes, and bring any snacks you might need. Carrying water is highly recommended. There is no shade coverage in the area — bring adequate sun protection.
- Please leave your pets at home.
- Youth under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult and fees apply to all participants.
- If you need to cancel, refunds will be offered up to 48 hours before the event start time.