Every month we produce a 2nd Saturday on the Farm, a family event that focuses on a particular area of agriculture. Visitors can participate in the regular activities of the Ag History Project plus others related to the day’s special focus. We host over 2,500 visitors each year at 2nd Saturday on the Farm.
We have created some unique interactive educational activities to help you have fun learning about past agricultural practices. What we like to call our “usual” activities include:
- Wooden cow milking: we have life-size wooden cows with rubber teats that help you learn how to milk a cow.
- Kid-driven tractor: we retrofitted a John Deere tractor so that anyone can learn to drive it. You sit in the seat and control the steering wheel while a trained volunteer stands on a platform to your right to controls the speed. We even have space for a parent or friend to stand to your left and enjoy the ride.
- Tractor Simulator: we have a stationary tractor that you can drive down a crop row. The computer screen in front of you displays how well you are handling the tractor.
- Puppet Theater: each month we have a new show playing.
- Model Railroad Exhibit – On display for a limited time in 2020. (January -April)
June 13- Wildlife on the Farm
July 11- Summer Fun on the Farm
August 8 – Animal Helpers on the Farm
September 12 – Help us get ready for Yesterday’s Farm
Visit Yesterday’s Farm at the Santa Cruz County Fair September 16-20
October 10- Tractor-O-Treat
November 14- Harvest on the Farm
December 12- Christmas on the Farm